Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Hymn Contests I'm Not Welcome to Enter

Some of you know that I enjoy writing theological hymns. I recently ran across a couple of hymn-writing contests that I'm probably not welcome to enter.

The first is the 2006 Process & Faith Hymn/Liturgy Contest, sponsored by Process & Faith, a center of the Claremont School of Theology. The hymns must "reflect a process-relational view of the world," which basically means they must not contain a hint of a biblical theology of God, especially his sovereignty. (You can read a description of process theology on their announcement page.) If it wasn't for the $3 entry fee, I'd consider submitting my hymn-"Our Sovereign God"-just to hear them scream.

Another invitation I should probably avoid is that on the PC(USA) Women Called to Lead: Women's Ordination Celebration webpage. They state: "Artwork, prayers, and poems supporting the theme of "Ordination Celebration," exploring the history, current reality, and concerns for the future of women in ordained leadership would be an excellent addition to the written articles. " There is no entry fee, so I wouldn't be wasting anything but the stamp. But, not surprisingly, I haven't exactly written anything on women's ordination. Given the circumstances, perhaps "Come Now, O Lord, Your Church Revive" would be most appropriate. Or, I could contribute this hymn I wrote on marriage (just to see them squirm on verse 2):

We witness a great mystery—
A bride and groom are joined in love;
A portrait of the unity
Between the church and Christ above.

O Bride, be subject to your groom.
With patience, for his guidance wait,
So whether there be joy or gloom,
A faithful church you illustrate.

O Husband, learn to love your wife
As Jesus Christ has loved His bride.
He lovingly laid down His life
That she be cleansed and glorified.

As for yourself, care for her need.
Let her be cherished and be fed.
And, humbly serving, learn to lead
As Christ, our servant leader, led.

Our Savior, give Your grace unto
This couple You have unified,
That they may point the world to You
And You, in them, be glorified.

Text: © Eric Schumacher

I've never entered a hymn contest. From the looks of it, I probably won't be. I guess I'll just have to settle for writing hymns for the Glory of God, and not for $50 cash prizes.

3 comments:

  1. If I find three dollars laying on the street I'll send it your way.

    *

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric
    How about opening an appeal to raise $3 for the 'Hear the Relationals Scream' fund. Loved the piece on marriage. Any chance of borrowing it some time to quote at weddings?
    $3 royalties would proably be handy for you!!
    God bless you. Your site's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scribbler,

    Feel free to use the hymn!
    The $3 royalty is welcome. I'll open a fund to torment heretics with orthodox verse.

    ~EMS

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are not posted. Please use your real name.