On February 8, I preached a sermon on the topic of God's grace (mainly from Ephesians 2), using John Newton's hymn "Amazing Grace" as my outline. I haven't heard much feedback from the congregation. But, I was greatly encouraged as I meditated on "Faith's Review and Expectation" (Newton's original title for the hymn).
You can listen to the audio here.
Why did I do this? As a congregation, we are following Covenant Life Church's lead in memorizing one great hymn a month.
To help our congregation learn and understand these great hymns, I'm doing a sermon on the theme of the hymn-o'-the-month each month, expositing relevant portions of Scripture.
My associate pastor and I put together a Study and Discussion Guide on the hymn (something like a catechism), to help members learn the theology we are singing and teach it to their children.
As the months progress, you can find the sermons and study/discussion guides on our website, here.
You can listen to the audio here.
Why did I do this? As a congregation, we are following Covenant Life Church's lead in memorizing one great hymn a month.
To help our congregation learn and understand these great hymns, I'm doing a sermon on the theme of the hymn-o'-the-month each month, expositing relevant portions of Scripture.
My associate pastor and I put together a Study and Discussion Guide on the hymn (something like a catechism), to help members learn the theology we are singing and teach it to their children.
As the months progress, you can find the sermons and study/discussion guides on our website, here.
I just got done listening to the podcast of this sermon. I have a feeling I will be listening to it over and over again...
ReplyDeletenot much feedback? well as far as Mitch and I are concerned it was awesome!! I love the backstory of hymns, it was defninitley one of those sermons where you keep thinking, amen amen, so true, you see the amazing, un-deserved grace in your own life. I know the awesome truth you preached about ministered to us.
ReplyDeleteI may be mistaken but this is the sermon you talked talked about the great prize of being a chrisitan is God HIMSELF.