In preparation for my sermon on baptism this past Sunday (audio here), I read Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to understand not only the doctrine of baptism, but how the whole Bible fits together.
Particularly helpful were the chapters by Shawn Wright (Baptism and the Logic of Reformed Paedobaptists), Stephen Wellum (Baptism and the Relationship between the Covenants), and Jonathan Rainbow ("Confessor Baptism": The Baptismal Doctrine of the Early Anabaptists).
Wellum's chapter is available to download as a PDF. I'd recommend printing it out and investing a chunk of time in reading it. For a short summary of some of that chapter, see this helpful interview Stephen gave with Justin Taylor.
Believer's Baptism is in the NAC Studies in Bible & Theology series, which also includes Jim Hamilton's God's Indwelling Presence, Jason Meyer's The End of the Law, and a volume on The Lord's Supper (by various contributing authors). I'd recommend these volumes to anyone wanting to better understand how to read their Bible as a whole. (Note: They are very academic studies, not light reading! But, I think they'd be accessible to any serious student.)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Anonymous comments are not posted. Please use your real name.